Do you have a desire to make a valuable contribution to a local environmental organisation that is committed to working towards conserving and improving the water quality of the rivers and lakes in Co. Limerick for the benefit of local communities and native wildlife?
The Maigue Rivers Trust is seeking a Business director preferably with knowledge and experience of overseeing finances in a company and/or NGO sector. Previous voluntary experience serving on a Board or Committee is desirable.
The Maigue Rivers Trust (MRT) was established in 2016. We are a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. The trust has 11 directors drawn from sectors that represent a range of social, economic and environmental interests. Our mission is to protect, enhance and cherish the rivers and lakes of the Maigue catchment in Co. Limerick for the benefit and enjoyment of all. The Trust works with local communities to ensure that the rivers and lakes of the Maigue catchment can achieve their full potential both environmentally and recreationally.
The Trust directors meet monthly and since June 2020 the Trust employs a full-time project officer through the Resilience Pilot Project that is funded through the Local Authority Waters Programme by the Department for Housing, Local Government and Heritage and is managed by The Rivers Trust.
The MRT Company secretary is Ballyhoura Development Social Enterprise Supports (SES). The Project Officer looks after day-to-day spending and Ballyhoura SES prepares the unaudited accounts, payroll, and CRO and CRA compliance. In brief, the directors’ responsibilities are oversight of governance, financial good practice, management and strategic planning.
General director duties of a charity trustee & company director:
- Directors must exercise their powers in good faith and in the interests of the company as a whole.
- Directors are not allowed to make an undisclosed profit from their position as directors and must account for any profit which they secretly derive from their position as a director.
- Directors are obliged to carry out their functions with due care, skill and diligence.
Grounds for being disqualified from being a charity trustee include if a person:
- is adjudicated bankrupt;
- enters into a formal court-approved insolvency arrangement with the Insolvency Service of Ireland;
- is convicted on indictment of an offence; and
- is a company that is in the course of being wound up.
Candidate specification includes the following:
- The candidate should have previous company and/or NGO financial oversight expertise, ideally with 3 years+ experience.
- The role of the successful candidate will be to contribute to the development of the Trust, identifying fundraising opportunities and revenue streams.
- The successful candidate will regularly inspect an overview of the finances to advise the Board on financial implications of proposals, cash flows, etc.
- The successful candidate will offer oversight of compliance and risk management in line with usual board responsibilities.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- The candidate must have a clear understanding of all financial policies and controls and propose any recommendations for change.
- The business director along with fellow board directors will be responsible for oversight of compliance and risk management in the organisation.
- The Director will be appointed to the Finance committee of the organisation. Their role will be to evaluate and monitor the adequacy of Financial controls and procedures and ensure the organisation is compliant with best practice principles.
- Have an overview of the finances to advise the Board on financial implications of proposals, cash flow problems, etc.
- To be an authorised signatory of the Trust.
There will be a 1.5hr meeting every month, plus some committee work outside of these meetings. Meetings are held remotely, with occasional in-person meetings in Limerick county.
Term of office:
The term of office will be three years with the possibility of being renewed by agreement of the Trust members.
Contact person for more information:
Project officer: Liz Gabbett, email@example.com 0860669606