What is it all about?
The purpose of World Earth Day is for people to actively demonstrate their support for environmental protection action. It is a day to remind ourselves about how we live our lives and how actively protecting our environment benefits us, our families and nature.
Here in the Maigue Rivers Trust, we are committed to working with our local communities and collaborating with all stakeholders to work on projects that will result in us taking action to protect our surrounding natural environment, particularly our streams, rivers, lakes and underground water sources and the fish and wildlife that depend on healthy waterways.
Water is life for every living being, our landscape and we all need clean water to survive and thrive.
Here are a few things we can do to protect our environment (we know the list is much longer than this but it is sample of what we can do):
- Don’t waste water. Turn off taps; run full loads of laundry rather than half loads; and use a bucket of water to wash the car rather than a hose. Check out https://www.water.ie/conserve/ for more ideas on how to conserve water.
- Always dispose of your litter in a bin or bring it home if no bin is available.
- When it comes to the items we buy, always think about how necessary it really is. If we Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle we can cut down the waste we generate.
- Think about what really needs to be neat and tidy. We need to make space for nature, i.e. the birds, insects, flowers, fish and mammals, in our lives. Creating habitats, i.e. not mowing or spraying sections of our gardens to allow the grass the grow long and wildflowers to bloom will mean space and food for insects, birds and mammals.
- Trees, particularly our native trees, are amazing when you think about all the life they support. Protect the mature trees we already have and when planting choose native species and put the sapling in the right spot so it can grow to full maturity.
If anyone is interested in getting involved with the Maigue Rivers Trust please get in touch via email email@example.com or any of our social media platforms @maigueriverstrust